Saturday 16 June 2012

Father's Day

Today i will talk about the most important man in my life-my father. My father is the symbol of strength and he is the pillar of the family. He was born in 1961 in a village called Pasir Pinji. Back in the 60s, my paternal grandparents were poor and they had to rent a small room in a wooden house to stay. There, my father as the first born always with my paternal grandmother, stayed at home while my grandfather was always away for work. My grandfather works as a carpenter and he still does. My great grandfather was a teacher. In the 60s, my father had been a very naughty boy, according to my grandmother. In the 70s, he attended the Private School of Poi Lam and there, he befriended alot of friends whom now, we call them uncles. Their friendship lasts for so long, for decades and still live in the same city.
 My father completed his Form 3 if Im not mistaken and started to follow my grandfather to learn carpentry. He was an apprentice to a furniture carpenter whom he had bad memories of how abusive the carpenter was. Sometimes, he would talk about his time being an apprentice and complained that old carpenter and his dictator son. Soon, my father left and pursued my grandfather's footsteps and ventured into the world of carpentry. He still works as a carpenter and built many houses in Ipoh and I must say, without them, there will not be rapid development so practically they 'build' the city. The story of how my father met my mother was told in another post and then, they got married, produced 4 children. I still remember my father was very strict to me when i was very young. It was because i was very naughty and he feared i might ended up in the wrong path. Slowly when I grow up, I am not that naughty anymore. My father does not share much of his childhood memories but we often heard them from my grandmother. Now, he is 51 years old and is still working to provide food to the family. Sometimes, when i compare him with his older pictures, lets say 5 or 6 years ago, he grows older already. He has white hair, wrinkles and dark skin tone due to harsh work under the sun 6 days a week.
  He loved to race. He used to bike-race with his friends and had accident. That accident made him retired from the race. However, he loves to race with other drivers on highway when he is challenged. There, he goes, racing on the highway and my mother will keep warning him to stop. Sometimes, we sit in the back also worry for the speed he is driving, 160km/h. He does not get tired for driving and according to him, the longer he drives, the more energetic he becomes. He loves orchids and goldfish too. We have 3 tanks of goldfish and 1 tank of Flowerhorn in the house. The garden used to have orchids blossom every spring but now, his interest in orchids faded and he concentrates on goldfish instead. His earlier interest was on bonsai. Our house balcony is full of bonsai and one of my household chores is to water the bonsai. We always tell him that we need a bigger house but he is still worried for our education. Basically, there is nothing much to worry about but I think he is still reserved on buying a new house. My parents told us that buying new house is now our duty...Lol...so my siblings and I will have to plan for that. The dream house he wants is very simple, just a house with no upper floors and a big lawn for him to rear goldfish and plant orchids.
  Anyhow, this is the story of the most important man in my life...=)


 My father in Hai Peng Kopitiam




No comments:

Post a Comment