Tuesday 22 May 2012

Time Flies Like an Arrow

Time really flies like an arrow, an issue brought up by my father. It was initiated when I told him that I am going to celebrate my 21st birthday early this June. Im turning 21 soon, sounds still young but its not the case. My father told me that once someone reaches the 20s, time flies like an arrow. He reminisced when he got married to my mother and had us, it seems like yesterday. We are growing to become adults and our parents are growing old. Noticed their white hair emerging from the scalp and skin colour turned dull ad wrinkled, not what they used to be. The youth they had gradually fades and they shall age with grace. I will age too and soon, the youth i have will be consumed by time. There have been twists in my life and one remarkable one was the path I chose for my degree studies. Previously, I was greatly fond in medicine, dreaming of becoming a doctor one day. A typical ambition of Biology students. I limited my point of views and did not open myself to other options which may provide me alternative paths. My STPM pointer which was mentioned in my previous blog is not sufficient enough to secure a position in medicine as Im not a native. Failed to get into medicine really crushed my dreams and what I have been dreaming to become. I had been pessimistic and been moody for days. Friends and family advised me to move on and go for other options. My mother had been worried, she once told me that if i insisted to pursue in medicine, she would get bank loan which made me so touched. I had tearful eyes before I left for work the moment she told me. However, after much considerations, I did not want my parents to be financially burdened and worried for my future. I did not want them to take up loan. Went to UTAR to apply for Biomedical Science and I got a full scholarship for this course but i turned it down in the end. Something urged me...to take Microbiology in UKM. Something told me that this is the path that i should follow. Not the ideal path i have always dreamed about. Becoming a scientist had never got into my list before. Then, I followed what was ahead, my fate. I took up Microbiology and I know God has designed a path for me. Everything would be fine, i told myself. There was this saying 'When the God closed a window in ur life, He opens a door for u'. This path is the door after the window to medicine is closed. On the other hand, I had been thinking, the reason why I was fond in medicine was because of the fame it has and the prosper it brings. Never did i know it limits my life. After much considerations, I realized that a doctor dedicated himself to patients and not having the life he always wanted. How miserable, I thought. After seeing the bigger picture and confirmed that I do not want to spend part of my life on others, I feel that my current path has its own reason. I want to spend more time for my own and family. I realized that the higher power has its own reason of wanting me to choose this path because time flies like an arrow and I do not wanna waste my time, sitting in a clinic 24/7 to be visited. I want to explore, discover and feel the joy of amusement by becoming a scientist who still can spend much of his time with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment