Wednesday 9 May 2012

My Mother

Hello everyone, Im back again to my very blog. This time I will blog about my mother. This year's Mother's Day falls on 13th of May, the second Sunday of the month. I have lovely parents and I will blog about my father next time. I have a very dedicated and loving mother. Our age gap is 30 years and she is 51 years old this year. My mother told me the story of her younger days, how she started to work and how she met my father. My mother is the second child out of 8 children. She has an elder sister, 2 younger sisters and 4 younger brothers. Raised in Sitiawan, Perak, my maternal grandparents were poor and they lived in a wooden small house. My maternal grandfather used to own a coffee shop but later closed it. He went to work in the flour factory near Segari and support the family. My grandmother is a kind and loving lady. She raised the children with discipline. To meet dead ends, she worked in the rubber estates to earn extra income. My mother had her primary education only and so was my eldest aunt. Being elder sisters, my maternal grandmother took both of them to work in the estates. My mother did not complain for not receiving enough education as she knew, she has 6 other siblings to raise. As early as 12 or 13 years old, she would follow my grandmother and aunt to the estate before the sun rose to tap rubber trees. She helped out the household chores when she got back from the estate, she would help to cook and took care of the younger siblings. The work in estate lasted for a few years and when she was 18 years old, she decided to go work in the city. She had been working in many sectors so she is a very experience lady. She worked in the fabric factory in the day and learned how to sew clothes at night. She stayed in the hostel provided and made some friends. Her determination to earn money did not stop in the factory. She looked for part time job to work in the weekends too. She had been a waitress in a restaurant and learned some tricks in beauty center too. She later graduated in the school of tailoring and proficient in sewing clothes. All these works were done in Ipoh, my birthplace. She went to KL to work for 2 years too. She told me that she became a housekeeper and also a babysitter in a kinda-wealthy family. However, she did not like the life in KL and decided to go back to Ipoh before continuing where she left off. In her stay in Ipoh, she had a few gal friends and those friends had a few male friends. One of those male friends was my father. Handsome and suave. My mother was pretty too, giving birth to 3 beautiful sisters. Its not that I exaggerated but my paternal grandmother once told me that my mother was beautiful and there were a few men wanted to date her but she turned them down. My maternal grandmother wanted my mother to attend speed dating with guys in her village-fishermen, rubber tappers etc but my mother insisted of finding her own love. Then, she found my father. They started out as friends and later got attracted to each other. My father would ask her to go for movies and brisk walk, often fetching her with his motorcycle. They dated for a mere 1 year. One day, my father suddenly asked my mother...

Father:"Lets get married"
Mother:"Okay"

You see, the proposal was not as romantic as you see in the movies, my father just said it brief and crystal clear and my mother's answer was direct too. When two people already love each other and knew they are life partners for each other, no sweet talk or romantic proposal were needed. They both knew they are right for each other so why talk more? Then, they both got married at the age of 25. My mother lived with my paternal family after they got married and had my eldest sister, Kay. After 3 years, my second sister, Yen. Then my father and paternal grandfather were offered a job in Sitiawan. They moved to Sitiawan to stay for months. My parents and my sisters stayed in my maternal grandparents' house while my paternal grandfather insisted on renting a house nearby to stay. After that, they moved back to Ipoh and my mother suggested to move out of the paternal house they were staying as the family members were growing. Looked everywhere and finally decided to settle down in Bercham. Bercham back then was a remote area. My house used to face a large field, infested with crickets and toads that sound so loud at night. Now Bercham turned into a busy center. During the first year stay in the new house, my mother had me. When she went for ultra sound, the doctor told her the baby was a girl. SWEAT!!!!!!! Therefore, everyone in the family expected a girl on the date of my arrival! Thus, on 3rd June 1991, my mother was on labour. She gave birth to me in Poliklinik Hospital Ipoh. The nurse who carried me told my parents that I am a boy. Both were shocked. Thus, I became the only grandson in the Yip family before the arrival of another 2  male cousins by my 2 uncles respectively. 2 years later, my mother had my youngest sister, Eloise and he told my father she did not wanna conceive anymore. The member of six live happily under the same roof in Bercham until all children reach their adulthood. My mother had been sewing clothes for tailor shops in Ipoh to help my father raise us. My father would work from morning until evening every weekdays. Thanks to them, we grew happily and healthy. My parents always told us that education is very important and since they could not have it in their younger days, they want us to succeed in education. She always tell us that without education, we would have to work hard in life. They want us to live in ease. All parents in the world love their children with their heart. Before i end, I would like to say Happy Mother's Day to my mother. Thank you and I will always choose you and father as my parents in my future lives.

 My parents, happily together for 26 years already...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment