Tuesday 7 August 2012

30 Hour Famine

On 3rd August, I made my way back to UKM to attend a charity campaign, 30 Hour Famine. Organized by friends who are mostly from the Economy and Management Faculty, my stay there was not that difficult as I know most of the facilitators. My roommate, Zian went back on the same date too. We stayed over in Quan's and San's room and the very next day, went over to another hall for registration. On the 4th August, we began fasting at 10 am and the fast lasted for 30 hours. The purpose of the campaign is to alert people worldwide that the unfortunates in the poorer countries like in Asia and Africa continents are suffering from severe famine. We were only allowed to drink plain water and had soya milk as meals. We were not allowed to take bath for 30 hours consecutively. The period was made simple by joining various of games which made us too busy and forgot the hunger that we were bearing. Water games, building tents and sketch were among the activities included. I realized not only NUM students were involved but students from UTM, USM and UTAR also joined our DIY camp. Honestly, the main purpose of me joining this camp aside from helping the unfortunates was to watch live concert. The next day, on the 5th of August, we went over to Malawati Stadium in Shah Alam and lucky for us, we managed to squeezed into the stadium and grabbed seats. My seat was not far from the stage so I can watch the stars performing live clearly. Local artists and celebrities performed on stage such as Athena Ma, An Honest Mistake, T4C, Josh Lai, Gary Yap, Nick, Alvin, My FM DJs, Mix FM DJs, Daniel Lee, Deborah Henry, Francesca and 8TV celebrities. The climax of the show was when Lee Hom showed up. He sang only a song but that was enough to make the audience screamed like hell. After Lee Hom's performance, everyone in the stadium countdown and marked the end of 30 hours of fasting exactly at 4pm. We quickly ate bread and soya milk to fill our empty stomach. Then, I headed to Batu Tiga KTM station and went to KL Sentral. My train was expected to arrive at 9pm. I had my shower and dinner in KL Sentral before heading back to Ipoh. This campaign was grand and really eye opening to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment